Developing a powerful strategic sales and marketing plan for Nigerian businesses can be hectic but will increase the business ROI when done the right way.
The benefit of planning cannot be over-emphasized especially when relating to issues of increase and growth in any sphere of human endeavour. Therefore, planning is said to be the beginning and the end solution to any situation.
Sales and Marketing Plan in this case is the key note to success of any organization. Show me the company/organization that is flowing in liquidity and I will show you the organization/industry that has solid Sales and Marketing Planning Strategy.
Remember the quote “Failure to plan is a sure way of planning to fail” Strategic Sales and Marketing plan may not provide all the facts needed in achieving results, but will stand as a guide to help you define your business goals and develop activities to achieve them.
WHAT TO DO
There is always a saying that what is written down can never be forgotten. What is your company’s selling proposition method. Write it down to show what your business is all about.
- Your target market: These are particular set of
people who have high tendency of buying your products or subscribing to
your services, this set of people are called potential customers.
Analyzing your target market is very crucial and you need to provide
yourself the answers to some questions like;
- Are my target customers male or female?
- Whats the age range of my target audience?
- Where did my target customers reside?
- What is my target customers means of livelihood?
- Whats my target customer average monthly income and more and many more questions…?
- Benefit to offer: What benefits will your target audience gain from your services/products and how will it impact, transform them in a positive way. Several businesses in Nigeria today prefer to communicate products /services discounts to the potential customers instead of the benefits. Though, both are necessary but benefit should be considered first. Think about it if you will ever buy a good because of the discount or for the benefits, that’s why an average will go for quality rather than quantity.
- Marketing Channel: What method are you adopting to showcase your products or services to reach your target audience? Be strategic about selecting the right marketing channel. Is it through Social media, Television, Newspapers or by word of mouth? So pen down the best way to reach them.
- Selling and Marketing Instruments: Are you advertising, using Internet, Direct Selling and Marketing or through Public relationships. Your decision here depends largely on your demographic people, which you must pick the best way to reach them, to make a difference from other competitors.
- To standout from others: Your unique selling and marketing proposition sets you apart and it gives your services and products good brand recognition and acceptability.
- Develop a budget: This will help you and it is very important instrument in planning. Sales and Marketing is an investment. Good plans are a sure way to show case your company’s service/products strategies, tactics, expenses and expectations.
- The budget: Is the road map that ensures that you are on track to reach the important goals.
- Revisit your Sales and Marketing Plan: It is important you visit your plans every quarter to examine whether you are on course or not which will prompt either a change or to continue. Sales and Marketing Plan is created to lead you to the path of success, but circumstances can occur that may render the former plan irrelevant and out-dated. Revisit and have constant review.
Everybody knows of Business Plan. But not every business man or an Entrepreneur has the knowledge of strategic Sales and Marketing Plan. Strategic Sales and Marketing Plan spells out all the tools, materials and tactics to be adopted to achieve your sales goals. It is the basis of the business.
Your action plan. It is your navigator to a successful lead which generates Sales results. Your Sales and Marketing Plan doesn’t have to be lengthy or excellently written but let the fundamentals be made clear and bold.
Opportunities abound at the Institute of sales and marketing management (ISMMN): for any individual, entrepreneur, corporate organizations, industries and companies that will seize the golden programmes especially packaged by the Institute for the disposition to optimize the challenges.